Illumination: Eastercon '92
British National Science Fiction Convention
17-20 April 1992, Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool
GoHs: Geoff Ryman, Paul J. McAuley,
(fan) Pam Wells
The main excitement was before the con even started: the Norbeck Castle
Hotel (sort of castle-shaped, in a concretey sort of way) went into
voluntary receivership in February. But it was 'refinanced' successfully,
and everything was okay for Easter.
- Geoff Ryman: The Wizard of Oz (including his new
- Concert: Golden Oldies of Filk
- John Clute and Paul Barnett (aka John Grant): The
Clute Encyclopedia. A talk on the current status of
The Encyclopedia of Science
Fiction --- including the promise of a CD-ROM version.
- Paul McAuley: GoH
- Firework display. 'Illumination' lives up to its name.
- Jack Cohen,
James White and Dougal
Dixon: Build an Alien.
- James Steel: SimEarth. An interactive attempt to
create intelligent life, with the audience shouting advice: "Nuke
- Colin Jack: Travails of a Mad Inventor. Some of his,
and other, inventions that could work --- power generation and weather
control over the North Sea, anyone?
- Panel: Build Your Own Religion. Nothing that new; mainly a
fun fight between the Christians and the Pagans.
- Martyn Fogg: Terraforming Mars. It takes a long
time --- hundreds of thousands of years.