Effective Python will help you master a truly “Pythonic” approach to programming, harnessing Python's full power to write exceptionally robust and well-performing code. Using the concise, scenario-driven style pioneered in Scott Meyers’ bestselling Effective C++, Brett Slatkin brings together 59 Python best practices, tips, and shortcuts, and explains them with realistic code examples.
Drawing on years of experience building Python infrastructure at Google, Slatkin uncovers little-known quirks and idioms that powerfully impact code behavior and performance. You’ll learn the best way to accomplish key tasks, so you can write code that’s easier to understand, maintain, and improve.
Key features include
• Actionable guidelines for all major areas of Python 3.x and 2.x development, with detailed explanations and examples
• Best practices for writing functions that clarify intention, promote reuse, and avoid bugs
• Coverage of how to accurately express behaviors with classes and objects
• Guidance on how to avoid pitfalls with metaclasses and dynamic attributes
• More efficient approaches to concurrency and parallelism
• Better techniques and idioms for using Python’s built-in modules
• Tools and best practices for collaborative development
• Solutions for debugging, testing, and optimization in order to improve quality and performance