ONCE UPON A TIME
in a world far removed from the days when fairy tales were new,
five best-selling authors spin versions that take the classic stories into a new dimension.
You'll recognize Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty,
and other enduring characters, but they'll exist in realms beyond your imagination,
where the familiar is transformed into the extraordinary and otherworldly.
The latest entry in the themed collection of novellas that I buy just for the Eve Dallas story.
Here the link is stories that mirror a classic fairy tale; a weak bunch this time round.
- J. D. Robb. Taken in Death. 2013
- Hansel and Gretel: two children are kidnapped by a mad aunt who wants revenge on their mother;
Eve Dallas must find them before she harms them.
- Mary Blayney. If wishes were horses. 2013
- A Magic Coin tale: the bearer of the coin is disappointed that it has never granted her a wish.
- Elaine Fox. Beauty, sleeping. 2013
- Sleeping Beauty with a twist: Michael Prince, shallow, but not evil, is cursed;
could the woman who has bought the house he haunts rescue him?
- Mary Kay McComas. The Christmas comet. 2013
- The Little Match Girl meets comet ISON (which unfortunately turned out not to be as spectacular as assumed here).
- R. C. Ryan. Stroke of midnight. 2013
- Cinderella: Sydney, bullied by her monstrous stepmother,
comes into a little money, and decides to visit her dead father’s home town in Ireland.