A collection of delightful essays on how science actually works,
and how to write well, amongst other things.
The essays are gathered under the following headings:
Reflections of the pursuit of physics
The quantum theory
- E pluribus boojum: The physicist as neologist. Physics Today, April. 1981
- How Mermin got the word "boojum" into the scientific literature, with the help of the despised 3rd edition of Webster's dictionary.
- Commencement address. St. Johns College, Santa Fe, May 18. 1986
- "One of the great physicists ... and great characters". Physics Today, June. 1981
- My life with Landau. 1988
- What's wrong with this Lagrangean?. Physics Today, April. 1988
- On a consistent misspelling in Phys. Rev. Let., and why did nobody notice?
- What's wrong with this library?. Physics Today, August. 1988
- What's wrong with this prose?. Physics Today, May. 1989
- What's wrong with these equations?. Physics Today, October. 1989
- On how to punctuate mathematics.
- What's wrong with these prizes?. Physics Today, January. 1989
- Quantum mysteries for anyone. Journal of Philosophy, 78. 1981
- Can you help your team tonight by watching on TV?. In Philosophical Consequences of Quantum. Theory: Reflections on Bell's Theorem. 1989
- Spooky actions at a distance: mysteries of the quantum theory. In The Great Ideas Today. 1988
- A bolt from the blue: the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradox. In Niels Bohr, A Centenary Volume. 1985
- The philosophical writings of Niels Bohr. Physics Today, February. 1989
- The great quantum muddle. Philosophy of Science, 50. 1983
- What's wrong with this pillow?. Physics Today, April. 1989
- Cruel Nature: A relativistic tragicomedy. In Space and Time in Special Relativity. 1968
- The amazing many colored Relativity Engine. Am. J. Phys, 56. 1988
- Relativistic addition of velocities directly from the constancy of the velocity of light. Am. J. Phys, 51. 1983
- Relativity without light. Am. J. Phys, 52. 1984
- N. David Mermin, M. J. Feigenbaum. E = mc2. Am. J. Phys, 56. 1988
- Logarithms!. Am. J. Phys, 46. 1978
- Stirling's formula!. Am. J. Phys, 52. 1984
- Pi in the sky. Am. J. Phys, 55. 1987
- Variational principles in dynamics and quantum theory. Physics Today, July. 1970